Hello, Good News! Welcome to another article where we share with you some of the best recipes and tips for baking amazing cakes. Today, we have a special treat for you: a Tom Selleck cake. Yes, you read that right. A cake named after the handsome and charming actor who played Thomas Magnum in the popular 1980s TV show Magnum P.I.
But what is a Tom Selleck cake, you may ask? Well, it’s a chocolate cake with a rich and gooey filling of sweetened condensed milk and butterscotch or caramel sauce, topped with whipped cream and crushed Heath bars. Sounds decadent, right? It’s also very easy to make and requires only a few ingredients. In this article, we’ll show you how to make a Tom Selleck cake from scratch, as well as share some interesting facts and trivia about the man himself.
Who is Tom Selleck?
Before we get to the recipe, let’s take a moment to appreciate the inspiration behind this cake: Tom Selleck. Born in Detroit, Michigan, in 1945, Tom Selleck is an American actor and film producer who has appeared in more than 50 movies and TV shows. He is best known for his role as Thomas Magnum, a private investigator who lives in Hawaii and drives a Ferrari, in the hit series Magnum P.I., which ran from 1980 to 1988. For this role, he won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series in 1985.
Some of his other notable roles include Peter Mitchell, a bachelor architect who becomes a surrogate father to a baby girl, in the comedy films Three Men and a Baby (1987) and Three Men and a Little Lady (1990), Matthew Quigley, an American sharpshooter who travels to Australia, in the western film Quigley Down Under (1990), Jack Elliot, an aging baseball player who joins a Japanese team, in the sports comedy Mr. Baseball (1992), and Dr. Richard Burke, Monica Geller’s love interest, in the sitcom Friends (1996-2000).
Tom Selleck’s Signature Mustache
One of the most distinctive features of Tom Selleck is his mustache. His thick and bushy facial hair has become his trademark and has earned him many fans and admirers over the years. In fact, his mustache has been voted as one of the best celebrity mustaches of all time by various polls and magazines. According to Selleck himself, he grew his mustache when he was in the army reserve because he thought it made him look older and more mature. He kept it ever since because he liked it and it suited him.
However, not everyone was a fan of his mustache. When he auditioned for the role of Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), he was asked to shave it off by Steven Spielberg and George Lucas, who wanted a clean-shaven hero. Selleck refused to do so because he was under contract with Magnum P.I., which required him to keep his mustache. He eventually lost the role to Harrison Ford, who ironically grew a beard for another Spielberg film, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989).
Tom Selleck’s Military Service
Another interesting fact about Tom Selleck is that he served in the military before becoming an actor. He joined the California Army National Guard in 1967 and served until 1973. He was assigned to the 160th Infantry Regiment and attained the rank of sergeant. He was also deployed to Los Angeles during the Watts riots in 1967 and the Vietnam War protests in 1971. He later said that his military service taught him discipline, respect, and loyalty.
Selleck has been a supporter of veterans’ causes and has participated in several events and programs to honor and assist them. He is also a spokesman for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund and has narrated several documentaries about the Vietnam War. He has received several awards for his military service and advocacy, such as the Distinguished American Award from the Army Football Club in 1997, the Dwight D. Eisenhower Award from the National Defense Industrial Association in 2005, and the Bob Hope Award for Excellence in Entertainment from the Medal of Honor Society in 2010.
How to Make a Tom Selleck Cake
Now that we’ve learned more about Tom Selleck, let’s get to the fun part: making his cake. This recipe is adapted from Cooks.com [^1^] and Our Mississippi Home [^2^]. It makes one 9×13 inch cake that serves 12 to 15 people. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 chocolate cake mix (any brand or flavor you like)
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 jar (12 oz) butterscotch or caramel sauce (or both, if you want to mix them)
- 1 tub (12 oz) whipped topping (such as Cool Whip)
- 2 Heath candy bars, frozen and crushed (or any other chocolate toffee candy)
And here are the steps to follow:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is still hot, poke holes all over it with a fork or a skewer.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the cake, making sure it seeps into the holes.
- Pour the butterscotch or caramel sauce over the cake, spreading it gently with a spatula.
- Let the cake cool completely on a wire rack.
- Spread the whipped topping over the cake and sprinkle with the crushed Heath bars.
- Cover and refrigerate the cake until ready to serve.
Enjoy your Tom Selleck cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or some fresh berries for a delicious dessert. You can also cut it into smaller pieces and serve it as a snack or a treat. It’s moist, rich, and full of flavor. You’ll love it!
A Breakdown of Tom Selleck Cake Ingredients
To better understand why this cake is so good, let’s take a closer look at its main ingredients and how they contribute to its texture and taste.
|Chocolate cake mix||This is the base of the cake and provides the chocolate flavor and color. You can use any brand or flavor of chocolate cake mix you like, such as devil’s food, German chocolate, or dark chocolate. Cake mix is convenient and easy to use, but you can also make your own chocolate cake from scratch if you prefer.|
|Sweetened condensed milk||This is a thick and sweet liquid made from milk and sugar that has been cooked down until most of the water evaporates. It adds moisture, richness, and sweetness to the cake. It also helps create a gooey filling that seeps into the holes of the cake. Sweetened condensed milk is often used in desserts such as fudge, caramel, and dulce de leche.|
|Butterscotch or caramel sauce||This is a sticky and sweet sauce made from butter, brown sugar, cream, and sometimes vanilla or salt. It adds more flavor, moisture, and sweetness to the cake. It also creates a glossy and smooth topping that contrasts with the whipped cream and candy. Butterscotch and caramel are similar in taste and appearance, but butterscotch has a deeper and richer flavor due to the brown sugar. You can use either one or both for this cake.|
|Whipped topping||This is a light and fluffy product made from cream, sugar, stabilizers, and sometimes artificial flavors. It adds creaminess, airiness, and sweetness to the cake. It also creates a soft and smooth layer that balances out the richness and density of the cake. Whipped topping is convenient and stable, but you can also make your own whipped cream from heavy cream and sugar if you prefer.|
|Heath bars||This is a candy bar made from toffee covered with milk chocolate. It adds crunch, texture, and sweetness to the cake. It also creates a nice contrast with the softness and smoothness of the cake. Heath bars have a buttery and nutty flavor that goes well with chocolate and caramel. You can use any other chocolate toffee candy for this cake, such as Skor bars or Almond Roca.|
Frequently Asked Questions about Tom Selleck Cake
Why is it called Tom Selleck Cake?
The origin of this cake’s name is not very clear, but there are some possible explanations. One is that it was named after Tom Selleck because he liked this cake or someone made it for him asa gift. Another is that it was named after Tom Selleck because he resembled this cake or someone thought he would like it. A third is that it was named after Tom Selleck because it was popular around the same time as Magnum P.I. or someone was a fan of the show. Whatever the reason, this cake is a delicious way to celebrate Tom Selleck and his mustache.
Can I make this cake ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this cake ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just make sure to cover it well with plastic wrap or foil to prevent it from drying out or absorbing other odors. To serve, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for a few hours. You can also reheat individual slices in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds if you want to enjoy them warm.
Can I use different flavors or toppings for this cake?
Yes, you can customize this cake according to your preferences and availability of ingredients. For example, you can use a different flavor of cake mix, such as vanilla, lemon, or red velvet. You can also use a different sauce, such as chocolate, strawberry, or peanut butter. You can also use different candies, such as Snickers, Kit Kat, or Reese’s Pieces. Just make sure to keep the same proportions and follow the same steps as the original recipe.
How do I cut and serve this cake?
This cake is very rich and moist, so you may want to cut it into small pieces and serve it with a fork or a spoon. You can also use a serrated knife or a dental floss to cut it more easily and cleanly. To serve, you can either place a piece on a plate or in a bowl and add some ice cream or berries on top, or you can just eat it straight from the pan with your fingers. Either way, you’ll enjoy every bite of this cake.
What are some other desserts named after celebrities?
There are many other desserts named after celebrities, either because they were invented by them, for them, or in honor of them. Some examples are:
- Banana Foster: A dessert made from bananas cooked in butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and rum, then served with vanilla ice cream. It was created by chef Paul Blangé at Brennan’s Restaurant in New Orleans in 1951 and named after Richard Foster, a friend of the restaurant’s owner.
- Pavlova: A dessert made from a crisp meringue base topped with whipped cream and fresh fruits. It was created by chef Herbert Sachse at the Hotel Esplanade in Perth, Australia in 1935 and named after Anna Pavlova, a Russian ballerina who visited Australia and New Zealand that year.
- Tiramisu: A dessert made from layers of coffee-soaked ladyfingers and mascarpone cheese cream dusted with cocoa powder. It was created by chef Roberto Linguanotto at Le Beccherie restaurant in Treviso, Italy in 1969 and named after his lover Ada Campeol, who called him “tiramisu”, meaning “pick me up” in Italian.
What are some other facts about Tom Selleck?
Tom Selleck is not only an actor but also a producer, an author, a philanthropist, and a sportsman. Here are some more facts about him:
- He has written several books, including The Mustache Book: A Guide to Growing and Maintaining Your Facial Hair (1988), Tom Selleck’s Tropical Paradise Cookbook (1991), and The Selleck Family History (1998).
- He has been married twice: first to model Jacqueline Ray from 1971 to 1982, with whom he adopted a son named Kevin; and second to actress Jillie Mack from 1987 to present, with whom he has a daughter named Hannah.
- He owns a 60-acre ranch in Thousand Oaks, California, where he grows avocados and raises horses. He is also an avid collector of firearms and antiques.
- He has been involved in several charitable causes, such as the Character Counts Coalition, the National Fatherhood Initiative, and the Joseph & Edna Josephson Institute of Ethics.
- He has been awarded several honors, such as the Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1986, the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Television Series Drama in 1985 and 1986, and the Honorary Doctorate of Laws from Pepperdine University in 2000.
What are some other TV shows and movies starring Tom Selleck?
Tom Selleck has had a long and successful career in the entertainment industry, spanning more than five decades. Here are some of his other TV shows and movies that you may want to watch:
- The Rockford Files (1974-1980): A detective series where he played Lance White, a rival private investigator of the main character Jim Rockford, played by James Garner.
- The Sacketts (1979): A western miniseries where he played Orrin Sackett, one of the three brothers who leave Tennessee to seek their fortune in the West, based on the novels by Louis L’Amour.
- Lassiter (1984): A crime thriller where he played Nick Lassiter, a jewel thief who is blackmailed by the British government to steal Nazi diamonds from the German embassy in London.
- Her Alibi (1989): A romantic comedy where he played Phil Blackwood, a mystery novelist who falls in love with Nina, played by Paulina Porizkova, a beautiful woman who claims to be innocent of a murder she is accused of.
- In & Out (1997): A comedy where he played Peter Malloy, a gay TV reporter who kisses Howard Brackett, played by Kevin Kline, a high school teacher who is outed by his former student during the Academy Awards.
- Jesse Stone (2005-2015): A mystery series where he played Jesse Stone, a former Los Angeles homicide detective who becomes the police chief of a small town in Massachusetts, based on the novels by Robert B. Parker.
- Blue Bloods (2010-present): A police drama where he plays Frank Reagan, the commissioner of the New York Police Department and the patriarch of a family of law enforcement officers.
We hope you enjoyed this article about Tom Selleck cake and learned something new about Tom Selleck himself. This cake is a delicious dessert that you can make for any occasion or just for fun. It’s easy, quick, and satisfying. You can also customize it with your favorite flavors and toppings. Try it out and let us know what you think.
If you liked this article, please check out our other articles on our website. We have more recipes, tips, and facts for you to discover. Thank you for reading and have a great day!