Hello, Good News! Welcome to another article where we share with you some of the best recipes from around the world. Today, we are going to talk about kismet cookies, a type of cookie that is said to make you dream of your one true love. Sounds intriguing, right? Well, keep reading to find out more about these magical cookies and how to make them at home.
Kismet cookies are not your ordinary cookies. They are made with browned butter, oats, coconut, cranberries, and macadamia nuts, giving them a rich and nutty flavor. They are also known as Christmas kismet cookies, because they are traditionally baked on Christmas Eve and placed under the pillow to induce sweet dreams. The word kismet means fate or destiny in Turkish, and it comes from the Arabic word qisma, meaning portion or lot. So, by eating these cookies, you are hoping to get a glimpse of your future partner.
What Makes Kismet Cookies So Special?
Kismet cookies are not only delicious, but they also have a fascinating history and meaning behind them. Here are some of the reasons why these cookies are so special:
They have a unique flavor and texture
Kismet cookies are made with browned butter, which is butter that is cooked until it turns golden and nutty. Browning the butter enhances its flavor and aroma, making the cookies more rich and decadent. The cookies also have oats, coconut, cranberries, and macadamia nuts, which add crunch, chewiness, and sweetness. The combination of these ingredients creates a complex and satisfying cookie that is hard to resist.
They are inspired by a Turkish legend
Kismet cookies are based on a Turkish legend that says that if you eat something sweet before going to bed on Christmas Eve, you will dream of your soulmate. The legend also says that you should write down your dream as soon as you wake up, because it will come true within a year. Some people believe that this legend originated from the ancient practice of divination by dreams, which was common in many cultures. By eating kismet cookies, you are following a tradition that dates back centuries.
They are a symbol of love and hope
Kismet cookies are more than just a tasty treat. They are also a symbol of love and hope for those who are looking for their true match. By baking these cookies and sharing them with your loved ones, you are expressing your wish for happiness and romance. You are also inviting fate to intervene and bring you closer to your destiny. Kismet cookies are a way of celebrating the magic of love and the power of dreams.
How to Make Kismet Cookies: A Step-by-Step Guide
Now that you know what makes kismet cookies so special, you might be wondering how to make them yourself. Well, don’t worry, because we have prepared a simple and easy guide for you. Here are the steps you need to follow:
Gather the ingredients
The first thing you need to do is gather the ingredients for your kismet cookies. You will need the following:
- 1 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 14 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup of packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 3/4 cup of shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups of dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup of chopped macadamia nuts (optional)
Brown the butter
The next thing you need to do is brown the butter. This is an important step that will give your cookies a deeper flavor and aroma. To brown the butter, follow these instructions:
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, melt 10 tablespoons of butter.
- Continue cooking, swirling the pan constantly, until the butter is dark golden brown and has a nutty smell. This will take about 1-3 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and use a heatproof spatula to transfer the browned butter to a large heatproof bowl.
- Stir in the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter until completely melted.
Mix the wet ingredients
Once you have browned the butter, you need to mix it with the other wet ingredients. To do this, follow these steps:
- Add the brown sugar, salt, and vanilla extract to the bowl with the butter. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add the egg and egg yolk. Whisk until the mixture is smooth and has no sugar lumps. This will take about 30 seconds.
- Let the mixture stand for 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat this process of whisking and resting two more times, until the mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny.
Add the dry ingredients
After you have mixed the wet ingredients, you need to add the dry ingredients. To do this, follow these steps:
- Using a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon, stir in the flour mixture until just combined. This will take about 1 minute.
- Stir in the oats, coconut, cranberries, and macadamia nuts (if using). Give the dough a final stir to make sure there are no flour pockets remaining.
The last thing you need to do is bake the cookies. To do this, follow these steps:
- Drop the dough by spoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets. You should have about 40-44 cookies.
- Bake one sheet at a time until the cookies are golden brown and still puffy. The edges should have begun to set but the centers should still be soft. This will take about 10-14 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet halfway through baking for even browning.
- Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let the cookies cool completely before serving.
Kismet Cookies Nutrition Facts
If you are curious about the nutrition facts of kismet cookies, here is a table that shows you the approximate values per cookie. Note that these values may vary depending on the exact ingredients and measurements you use.
| Calories | Fat | Carbohydrates | Protein | Fiber | Sugar |
| ——– | — | ————- | ——- | —– | —– |
| 140 | 7 g | 18 g | 2 g | 1 g | 10 g |
As you can see, kismet cookies are not exactly low in calories, fat, or sugar. However, they do have some benefits, such as providing some fiber, protein, and antioxidants from the oats, cranberries, and nuts. They also contain some iron, calcium, and vitamin C. Of course, these cookies are meant to be enjoyed as an occasional treat, not as a regular part of your diet. So, indulge in moderation and savor every bite.
Kismet Cookies FAQ
Kismet cookies are a type of cookie that is made with browned butter, oats, coconut, cranberries, and macadamia nuts. They are also known as Christmas kismet cookies, because they are traditionally baked on Christmas Eve and placed under the pillow to induce sweet dreams of one’s soulmate.
Kismet cookies are inspired by a Turkish legend that says that if you eat something sweet before going to bed on Christmas Eve, you will dream of your future partner. The word kismet means fate or destiny in Turkish, and it comes from the Arabic word qisma, meaning portion or lot.
Kismet cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. You can also freeze them for up to three months. To thaw them, let them sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes before serving.
Yes, you can make some substitutions to make kismet cookies vegan or gluten-free. For vegan kismet cookies, you can use vegan butter instead of regular butter, flax eggs instead of eggs, and maple syrup instead of brown sugar. For gluten-free kismet cookies, you can use gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour, and gluten-free oats instead of regular oats.
Yes, you can use different nuts or dried fruits for kismet cookies.Some possible nuts or dried fruits for kismet cookies are:
– Walnuts, pecans, almonds, or pistachios instead of macadamia nuts. These nuts have a similar crunch and flavor, and they also provide healthy fats and protein.
– Cherries, blueberries, apricots, or dates instead of cranberries. These fruits have a similar chewiness and sweetness, and they also add some color and antioxidants to the cookies.
You can experiment with different combinations and see what you like best. Just make sure to adjust the amount of sugar and butter accordingly, as some nuts and fruits may be sweeter or oilier than others.
If you want to make kismet cookies more festive, you can try some of these ideas:
– Add some spices to the dough, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, or cardamom. These spices will give your cookies a warm and cozy flavor, and they also have some health benefits.
– Drizzle some melted white chocolate or dark chocolate over the cooled cookies. This will add some extra sweetness and decadence to your cookies, and it will also make them look more attractive.
– Sprinkle some edible glitter or sugar crystals over the chocolate drizzle. This will add some sparkle and fun to your cookies, and it will also make them more eye-catching.
These are just some suggestions to make your kismet cookies more festive. You can also use your own creativity and imagination to decorate your cookies however you like.
Kismet cookies are also known by other names in different regions and cultures. Some of these names are:
– Dream cookies: This name reflects the idea that these cookies can make you dream of your soulmate.
– Fate cookies: This name emphasizes the concept of fate or destiny that is associated with these cookies.
– Love cookies: This name expresses the sentiment of love that is inspired by these cookies.
– Wish cookies: This name suggests that these cookies can help you make a wish for your future partner.
You can call these cookies whatever you like, as long as you enjoy them and share them with your loved ones.
What are some other foods that can make you dream?
Kismet cookies are not the only foods that can make you dream. There are some other foods that have been linked to dreaming in various ways. Some of these foods are:
– Cheese: Cheese contains tryptophan, an amino acid that helps produce serotonin and melatonin, two hormones that regulate sleep and mood. Eating cheese before bed can increase the chances of having vivid dreams or nightmares.
– Bananas: Bananas are rich in potassium, magnesium, and vitamin B6, which are essential for nerve and muscle function. Eating bananas before bed can enhance the quality of sleep and stimulate the production of dreams.
– Chocolate: Chocolate contains caffeine, theobromine, and phenylethylamine, which are stimulants that can affect the brain and nervous system. Eating chocolate before bed can keep you awake longer and cause more intense dreams or hallucinations.
– Spicy foods: Spicy foods contain capsaicin, a compound that causes a burning sensation in the mouth and throat. Eating spicy foods before bed can raise your body temperature and metabolism, which can disrupt your sleep cycle and trigger more vivid dreams or nightmares.
These are just some examples of foods that can make you dream. However, keep in mind that everyone’s body and mind reacts differently to different foods, so your experience may vary.
What are some tips to remember your dreams?
If you want to remember your dreams after eating kismet cookies or any other food, here are some tips that might help:
– Keep a dream journal: Write down your dreams as soon as you wake up, before you forget them. You can use a notebook, a phone app, or a voice recorder to record your dreams. Try to include as many details as possible, such as the people, places, events, emotions, colors, sounds, smells, etc. that you experienced in your dream.
– Set an alarm: Set an alarm to wake you up during your REM (rapid eye movement) sleep stage, which is when most dreaming occurs. You can use a smartwatch or a sleep tracker app to monitor your sleep cycles and find the best time to wake up. Waking up during REM sleep can increase the likelihood of remembering your dreams.
– Talk about your dreams: Share your dreams with someone else, such as a friend, a family member, or a partner. Talking about your dreams can help you recall them better and also give you some insights or feedback on their meaning or significance.
– Practice lucid dreaming: Lucid dreaming is a state of awareness where you know that you are dreaming and can control or manipulate your dream environment. Lucid dreaming can help you remember your dreams better and also make them more enjoyable and meaningful. To practice lucid dreaming, you can use some techniques, such as reality checks, mnemonic induction, or wake-back-to-bed.
These are some tips to remember your dreams. However, don’t be discouraged if you can’t remember your dreams every time. Sometimes, dreams are meant to be forgotten, and that’s okay too.
Kismet cookies are a delicious and dreamy recipe that you can make at home and enjoy with your loved ones. They are not only tasty, but they also have a fascinating history and meaning behind them. They are a symbol of love and hope for those who are looking for their true match. By baking these cookies and placing them under your pillow, you are inviting fate to show you your destiny.
We hope you enjoyed this article and learned something new about kismet cookies. If you did, please share it with your friends and family, and don’t forget to check out our other articles for more amazing recipes and tips. Thank you for reading, and happy dreaming!